When I help applicants with the criteria and documents for the Stage 1 endorsement for the UK Global Talent Visa in Digital Technologies (formerly Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa) #TechNationVisa, one of the documents that must be submitted for assessment is a 3 page CV. The CV review is one of the most valuable drafting exercises that we go through.
If you google how to write the best CVs or look for CV templates, they pretty much tell you similar things. But for an endorsement for exceptional talent or exceptional promise for the UK Global Talent Visa in digital technologies, I wanted to share my Top tips that you should include that might not be in generic CV templates.
This is because Tech Nation have stated that this application is not a job application, but an endorsement for exceptional talent or promise. So here are some of my top CV tips to help you show your exceptional talent or promise in digital technologies through your CV.
Professional Experience or Career History
Every CV must include this but what I have found missing in most CVs are:
1. a one liner summary about what the company does.
2. the country where you were or currently based in when in the role.
3. List your roles AND the impact/outcomes/achievements. Make those very clear and separate the roles from your achievements.
4. Ensure it is digital tech related.
This is very important because this is the extra curricular activities that shows you have exceptional promise or talent in the field of digital technologies. This is because you need to convince Tech Nation Assessors that you are an expert or potential expert in the field of digital technology. Examples are a list of your:
- Participation in structured mentoring programmes that makes an impact to the tech sector
- Featured in media publications that makes an impact to the tech sector
- Public speaking at events, conferences, universities etc. that makes an impact to the tech sector
- Authored articles or books that advances or makes an impact to the tech sector
- Awards won that has relevance to the digital tech sector
- Active committee memberships or judging competitions that relates to the digital tech sector
The new 20 February 2020 changes to the UK Global Talent Visa in Digital Technologies (formerly Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa) now allows you to submit your CV with a 3 page limit instead of a 2 page limit. This means you can add more things to your CV to show exceptional promise or talent in digital technologies.
If you need help in structuring your CV and other documents to be submitted for the endorsement for exceptional talent so you can apply for the UK Global Talent Visa in Digital Technologies #TechNationVisa, I offer bespoke packages of support to increase your chances of a successful application.
This blog was written by Michelle Hua, Consultant, Speaker, CEO & Founder of Made With Glove. In 2016, Michelle was the recipient of the Exceptional Talent Visa (now called Global Talent Visa) and is the former #TechNationVisa Ambassador. Michelle consults for highly skilled tech entrepreneurs and people working in digital technologies on how they can receive the endorsement for exceptional talent or exceptional promise. Read Michelle’s other blogs on the #TechNationVisa here and Michelle’s own journey here.