The UK Global Talent Visa Stage 1 endorsement application is a merit based way of determining whether an applicant is an exceptional talent or exceptional promise so that they can apply for the Stage 2 UK Global Talent Visa.
Merit based means that it is based on your achievements in the tech sector. If you have done some research, you will note that most visas are based on being sponsored by an employer. The downside is that you will be tied with that employer and if you want to leave, you will either have to go back to your home country or look for another company in the UK to sponsor you.
From where I stand, why rely on a company to sponsor you when you have the ability to get your own visa that is attached to you and not your employer?
The UK Global Talent Visa allows you
- The freedom and flexibility to live and work in the UK tech sector for up to 5 years
- Apply for Indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship
- Bring your dependents with you
- Start a UK Ltd company if you want to
- Is attached to you and not your employer
The other benefits, as a result of being a recipient of the UK Global Talent Visa that I and many of my fellow recipients have experienced are:
- It gives you status and credibility as a leader or emerging leader in the tech sector.
- The confidence to apply for and get promotions.
- The confidence to apply for and get jobs in whatever tech. company you want to, particularly those companies who can’t afford the sponsorship licence to sponsor immigrants. E.g. tech startups.
- Allows you to even talk to recruiters – most recruiters won’t speak to you unless you have the right to work in the UK.
- The confidence and ability to negotiate for what you want without feeling bad that the employer is sponsoring you. Sometimes, when this happens, you feel like you are on the back foot so you accept what they offer.
- Access to the Tech Nation Visa Alumni – a community of likeminded people who also received the Global Talent Visa and the opportunity to form your own network quickly; and
- Security within yourself that you don’t have visa issues hanging over your head because you know that the UK Global Talent Visa will lead to ILR or Citizenship so you can buy your house, start your tech company or start your life in the UK knowing that you are more secure.
The UK Global Talent Visa is really for those who are leaders or emerging leaders in the tech sector. This is because since 1 December 2020, the guidelines were amended to make Leadership the only mandatory criteria so you must meet it in order to be endorsed.
Leadership or Thought Leadership is a powerful way to inspire people both outside and within your company, who show influence and impact to the wider sector. And this is what Tech Nation want to see when they review an application that is merit based.
How can you show that you have leadership qualities or skills?
There are 10 examples that Tech Nation have provided in their guidelines to evidence your leadership qualities and skills in the tech sector. Use this as a guide to help you fulfil the leadership criteria and if you don’t have it now, make it your goal to become that leader. Think of it as a personal development goal to improve your overall leadership attributes and qualities in the tech sector.
One way to look at it is think about all the leaders or role models you follow. Are they inspirational, influential and impactful?
- Why did you follow them?
- Why do you find them inspirational?
- How have they influenced your life?
- What impact have they made to you or to others?
- Finally, how did you find them?
It is because they had the ability to self promote, develop their personal brand or reputation to show you that they are all those things. Because if they didn’t, you wouldn’t know about them.
I understand it can be so confronting especially because the words, self promotion and personal branding fills you with anxiety and makes you run for the woods and not come back. But let’s think about this differently.
What if you were able to tell your story in a way that shows you are being authentic and genuine. That from your experience, knowledge and passion, you were able to achieve so many great things and make a significant impact which you are pretty proud of?
And if you want to share what you have learnt and how others can achieve those things too, that’s not bragging. It’s sharing your story, your experience, learnings and achievements.
You are, in a way, self promoting, developing your personal brand and your reputation.
No one has the exact same skills, experience and passion as you do. So there is nothing wrong in sharing your story because you may have a different way of doing things that makes you unique.
This is how I help applicants with their personal brand, their story and their leadership examples. Anyone who has developed their personal brand, will not regret it. Because they are developing themselves to become a better leader so that they can have the career they want, create the impact that makes their work and personal life more rewarding and ultimately, be an inspiration and influence others. Now that is the sign of a true leader who deserves to be endorsed and get the UK Global Talent Visa.
If you want to learn more about how I can help you, book a free Discovery Call here with me now!